- By OC Blogger
- In Emergency Services, Mold, Odor, Plumbing, Prevention, Water
Five signs you may have a slab leak – and what should you do about it
When it comes to hidden problems in your home, there are a few things that have the potential to be as truly catastrophic as a slab leak. A slab leak occurs when the piping underneath a home’s concrete slab foundation begins to leak.
Due to the location of the leak, the problem comes from the fact that they often go unnoticed for months at a time. Even a 1/8 inch water pipe crack can leak out 250 gallons of water into the foundation of your home.
This can erode the foundations of your home, causing intense water damage and even leading to the collapse of parts of your house. That’s why being able to spot the vital slab leak signs is essential for you and your family.
- Unexplained running water noises. Another sign that you need slab leak repair right now is if you start hearing the sound of running water in your home but cannot figure out where it is coming from. If you can hear running water in your home, but none of the plumbing is actually being used, then it is possible that you have a water leak in the foundations of your home.
- A hot spot on the floor. So, what is a telltale sign of a slab leak? One of the most reliable indicators of a slab leak is the appearance of a warm spot on your floor. This could be a sign that hot water is leaking into the foundations of your house. Go to the basement and feel around on the floor to see if you can detect any temperature fluctuations. If you do, slab leaks are the most probable cause.
- Water protrusion from the ground. A wet floor is usually pretty glaring evidence of a slab leak. If you have noticed protrusions of water on the floor of your house or damp patches, you might have a leak. If the water cannot be explained by a ceiling leak or some other form of spillage, it is most likely coming from the foundations of your home. If it has got to the point where water leaks into your home, your slab leak is severe and needs to be addressed.
- An unidentified damp odor. Finally, an unexplained damp odor is often a common indicator of a slab leak. The water leaking under your home can saturate the wood foundations and lead to growths of mold and mildew. This will grow very rapidly if left unchecked, meaning that the damp smell will likely arrive quickly, and continue to get worse as time goes by. If you can determine where exactly the smell is coming from, then you can figure out the source of the leak.
- Higher water bills. The slab leak cost to you could be more than just the repair costs. Since even a small slab leak can result in thousands of gallons of water being lost every year, a telltale sign is often increased water bills. If your water bills have risen markedly in recent months without any discernible reason, a leak is likely to be the explanation. If you don’t address the potential slab leak, your living expenses could rise dramatically.
Call professionals when you have a slab leak. A slab leak is not something that a homeowner can address on their own. It is a serious structural problem that must be dealt with by trained professionals. If you suspect that you have a slab leak, and you live in Southern California, do not hesitate to call our team of qualified experts today. 949-877-9697 Our services include Mold Testing & Remediation, Water & Flood Restoration, Fire & Smoke Restoration, Contents Cleaning, Odor and Sewage Removal, Roof Tarping, Rebuild, and more!