- By OC Blogger
- In Emergency Services, Flood, Mold, Plumbing, Prevention, Tips, Water
How to protect against water damage
Take these steps to help minimize your risk.
Whether it’s a leak in your ceiling or a basement filled with water, water damage can require a costly fix. Here are a few home improvements to make water damage less likely:
- Add or update drainage. Use gutters and downspouts to make sure water is diverted away from your home and its foundation.
- Install a sump pump. Try this addition if water damage has been a serious problem in your home’s lower level. Choose a cast iron pump, which may last longer, and consider buying a backup battery-powered pump in case the power goes out. Test your pump twice a year or as suggested by the manufacturer.
- Update your windows and doors. Look for watertight options in new windows and doors. Older wood windows should be cleaned, repainted and re-stained periodically. Cracks in trim should be resealed. Glazing compound around older windows should be replaced as needed.
- Replace your pipes. Much home piping has a lifespan of 50 to 80 years, so if you have an older house, ask a plumber to check its condition. PVC pipes may need to be replaced every 25 to 40 years.
- Regularly check your roof for signs of damage, such as excessive wear on shingles or missing shingles.
- Seal your basement. Thick coatings, paint, and silicate-based sealers may help minimize or prevent water damage. Each method varies in application and cost.
- Replace washing machine supply hoses. Plan for new ones every three to five years as part of a proactive maintenance plan.
If you suspect water damage and live in Southern California, please call 949-877-9697, and we, at Orange County Restoration Services, will immediately respond to your call! Our services include Mold Testing & Remediation, Fire & Smoke Restoration, Water & Flood Restoration, Contents Cleaning, Odor and Sewage Removal, Roof Tarping, Rebuild and more!