Most house fires are preventable, so take a minute to learn these less obvious causes.
- Clothes dryers. Cleaning the lint trap should be part of your regular laundry routine. Left untouched, lint can build up in your dryer duct with every load of laundry. Have a professional inspect and clean your dryer at least once a year to help eliminate a fire hazard.
- Glassware. When sunlight passes through some kinds of glassware, the concentrated ray can ignite flammable materials such as stacks of papers. Play it safe by moving all glass accessories, such as vases, away from windows.
- Loose batteries. Nine-volt batteries, which power smoke detectors, are designed with both posts on the top. Bits of metal, including other batteries and loose change, can create a bridge between the posts that causes a heat-creating charge. To prevent this, keep unused batteries in their original packaging and cover the posts of expired batteries with the black electrical tape before properly disposing of them.
- Electric blankets. Keep your blanket flat while using it. And make sure your electric blanket is certified by a national testing laboratory, such as UL. Read more tips for electric blanket safety.
If your home or community experienced a fire, and you live in Southern California, please call 949-877-9697, and we, at Orange County Restoration Services, will immediately respond to your call! Our services include Mold Testing & Remediation, Fire & Smoke Restoration, Water & Flood Restoration, Contents Cleaning, Odor and Sewage Removal, Roof Tarping, Rebuild and more!